Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Oscars 2024

 



I've seen nine of the 10 Oscar nominees for Best Picture and they're all so different that it doesn't really make sense to compare them. Maybe it never has made sense. Dunno.


Many industry observers are saying it's Oppenheimer's to lose. Probably so. Having 10 pictures, though, could split the vote and a dark horse darling like Barbie or The Holdovers might sneak in. 


I suspect awards will be spread out among the pictures and American Fiction might win for screen adaptation. I don't see Jeffrey Wright, as wonderful as he always is, will win Best Actor against Paul Giamatti in Holdovers or Cillian Murphy in Oppenheimer.


Lily Gladstone will get Best Actress as many are predicting but Carey Mulligan was terrific in Maestro and Emma Stone unbelievably good (and committed) in Poor Things. 


I would love to see Best Supporting Actress go to Emily Blunt in Oppenheimer but think Da'Vine Joy Randolph from Holdovers is favored and that's OK with me.


I thought Robert Downey Jr. was actually more compelling in Oppenheimer than the lead so I'm fine with him getting Best Supporting Actor. 


Christopher Nolan has never won an Oscar for directing. I think he will this year. 


 


“American Fiction”


“Anatomy of a Fall”


“Barbie”


“The Holdovers”


“Killers of the Flower Moon”


“Maestro”


“Oppenheimer”


“Past Lives”


“Poor Things”


“The Zone of Interest”

No comments:

Challengers

  Despite trailers and promos that suggest otherwise, Luca Guadagnino's Challengers is NOT a love story -- at least not in any conventio...