California folk singer/songwriters Hedge and Donna Capers were what we called back in the '60s a "mixed couple."
They were popular in the music underground for a while. They even made it onto the Smothers Brothers Show in '69. (You'll either get how subversive that was or you won't.)
I have Hedge and Donna's six albums, released between '68 and '73, and dig them all. They have a hip, poppy musicality with some soulful Aretha-swing and moments of social topicality.
They hung out with the West Coast set -- Jackson Browne, Joe Walsh -- but never really broke into the big time. Was it a race thing? Undoubtedly in some places it was. Maybe they didn't have enough edge to be radical but too much edge to be pop. Dunno.
I'm not sure what happened to Hedge and Donna, but the dissolution of their marriage/partnership was evident when their last record was titled Capers and Carson (Donna's maiden name). Here one day and gone the next.
After the separation, Hedge continued his musical adventures in other arenas, including mental health therapy. I could not find any reports of his current whereabouts. He would be 81 years old now.
Donna died in 2019; she had been a social worker in LA, I believe. They were REAL hippies, yo.
No comments:
Post a Comment